About the Berkshires
The Berkshires is ideally located for seasonal visitors and residents. Whether you are looking for a second home for seasonal or weekend getaway, quickly find your way to the beautiful towns that make up Berkshires County. For additional information about The Berkshires, contact us today or visit our Berkshire Life or Berkshire Towns pages.
Boston to The Berkshires
Boston is a quick two hour drive to the Berkshires. The trip is made easy by a straight shot on I-90W. This will take you across the state of Massachusetts, which provides great sight-seeing and pit-stops along the way.
Amtrak trains bring you to the Berkshires in just under 4 hours. There are multiple Boston station that will bring you to Pittsfield, including Back Bay and South Station. You can also hop on a bus from South Station which will take you to Pittsfield.
For the bike enthusiasts, take part in a bike tour from the Berkshires to the state's capital, Boston. The Berkshire to Boston Bicycle Tour takes 165 cyclists from the hills of the Berkshires on a 4 day, 240 mile scenic route.
New York City to The Berkshires
Zip up I-95N to CT-8 N for an easy 3-hour drive. Alternative modes of transportation include bus and train. There are a few train and bus routes that travel from New York City to Pittsfield. Both Amtrak and Peter Pan buses provide round trip. For the quickest trip, train rides
Hartford to The Berkshires
Connecticut's capitol is just over the state boarder. It is only an hour away from the Berkshires by car, but Amtrak can also bring you to Pittsfield, too. Amtrak provides a shuttle to Pittfield that take under an hour, or transfer in Springfield, MA for an extra 30 minutes of travel time.
Busses are an affordable way to get to the Berkshires from Hartford, though the travel time is the longest at about 2 and a half hours.
Traveling From Afar
If you are traveling further, Bradley International Airport is located in Winsor, CT which is about an hour drive from Berkshire County.
Discover the towns that make up Berkshire County!
Knowns simply as the Berkshires, this popular county attracts visitors and residents, both permanent and seasonal, aline. Berkshire County is well-known for its natural beauty - from the snow-capped mountains in the winter, colorful foliage in the fall, lush green forests in Spring, and the crystal clear waters throughout Summer.
The County's landscape creates stunning scenery for all to enjoy year-round. The Berkshire Hills, which is part of the Appalachian Trail and the Taconic Mountains provide the area with optimal hiking trails, mountain biking, camping, and prime backdrops. Though a top destination for Summer recreation, Berkshire County is a Winter haven as well!
Each Berkshire County town offers a unique cultural experience
Find your new Berkshire County home by town:
Learn more about the area and things to do on our Berkshire Life page.
So many reasons to love living in the Berkshires! Discover the many local attractions and popular spots for hiking, arts, dining, and more! FOr more information about the area, contact us today or visit our towns page.
Arts & Culture
The fresh mountain air and the sparkling waters are only a small piece of what the Berkshires has to offer. Satisfy your desire for culture with the Berkshire International Film Festival, Tanglewood, and Jacobs Pillow to name only a few. Other cultural attractions include:
- Bidwell House Museum in Monterey, MA
- Chesterwood in Stockbridge, MA
- Frelinghuysen Morris House & Studio in Lenox, MA
- The Mission House in Stockbridge, MA
- Naumkeag in Stockbridge, MA
- Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA
- The Mount, Edith Wharton's Home in Lenox, MA
- Ventfort Hall, Mansion & Gilded Age Museum in Lenox, MA
- Berkshire Botanical Garden in West Stockbridge, MA
Music & Theatre Performances
- Berkshire Choral International in Sheffield, MA
- Capitol Steps in Lenox, MA
- Music & More at the New Marlborough Village Association
- Pythagoras Theatre Works in West Stockbridge, MA
- Shakespear & Company in Lenox, MA
- Spectrum Playhouse in Lee, MA
There is no better place to explore the outdoors. Though a popular summer destination, the Berkshires offers year-round outdoor recreation and fun! From biking and hiking, swimming and fishing to skiing and snowshoeing, there is much to discover.
- Appalachian Trial - 90 miles of trails through Western Massachusetts
- Berkshire Canoe & Kayak Scenic Tours - guided canoe and kayak tours, starting in Lenox, MA
- Camp Unleashed - outdoor vacations for you and your dog!
- Catamount Aerial Adventure Park - and outdoor aerial course in South Egremont, MA
- Undermountain Farm offers year - round horse riding in Lenox, MA
- Berkshire Fishing Club in Becket, MA
- Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort - a luxury hotel with beautiful maintained 18-hole course in Lenox, MA
- Egremont County Club - open to the public
- Berkshire Hills County Club in Pittsfield, MA
- Taconic Golf Club in Williamstown, MA
Biking & Hiking
- Berkshire Bike Path Council
- Village Bike Rentals in Adams, MA
- Becket Land Trust
- Notchview in Windsor, MA
Winter in the Berkshires
- Catamount skiing area in South Egremont, MA
- Canterbury Farm in Becket, MA offers cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
Restaurants & Cafés
Berkshire County is a foodie's haven. From Pittsfield Farmer's Market and farm-to-table restaurants to locally owned cafés and bakeries, the Berkshires is a hub for delicious meals and a true culinary experience!
Farms, Wineries, & Breweries
- Balderdash Cellars - delicious wines sourced from California vineayrds, located in Pittsfield, MA
- Les Trois Emme Winery in New Marlborough, MA
- Barlett's Orchard - an apple orchard serving up fruity baked good and yummy apple cider donuts, in Richmond, MA
- Big Elm Brewing - a small micro brewery in Sheffield, MA
- John Andrews, A Farmhouse Restaurant - local and seasonal ingredients create fresh, Italian-inspired dishes in South Egremont, MA
- Old Mill - contemporary New England cuisine in South Egremont, MA
- Blantyre Restaurant - fine dining experience at the high-end Relais et Chateaux's Blantyre hotel in Lenox, MA
- Bombay - traditional Indian cuisine in Lee, MA
- Cafe Lucia - organic and local food prepared in the traditional Italian style in Lenox, MA
- Chez Nous Bistro - serving French cuisine made from high-quality ingredients in Lee, MA
- Firefly - a new American bistro in Lenox, MA
- The Gateway Inn - a classic dining experience in Lenox, MA
- The Lions Den - Located at The Red Lion Inn, enjoy live music and classic meals in Stockbridge, MA
- Luau Hale Restaurant - travel across the country at this Asian Polynesian spot in Lenox, MA
Cafés & Bakeries
- Church Street Cafe in Lenox, MA
- Haven Cafe, Bakery, & Catering in Lenox, MA
- Six Depot Roastery Cafe in West Stockbridge, MA
- Patisserie Lenox in Lenox, MA. Serving authentic French pastries and delicious baked goods.
- Starving Artist Cafe & Creperie in Lee, MA
- Berkshire Mountain Bakery in Pittsfield, MA
- SoCo Creamery in Great Barrington, MA
Local Shops & Boutiques
Berkshire County provides shoppers with a variety of shops, outlets, boutiques, and more! Find vintage pieces and fashion's newest trends.
- Berkshire Mall - find top retail brands in Lanesborough, MA
- Lee Premium Outlets - discount retailers and shops in Lee, MA
- Berkshire Classic Leather & Silver - quality leather and silver goods in Lenox, MA
- Dory & Ginger - unique home and lifestyle goods in Pittsfield, MA
- Charles Flint, Fine Art & Antiques Gallery in Lenox, MA
For more information on visiting the Berkshires, check out the Berkshire Chamber of Commerce.